Post Moderation (27 May 2016)

To help eliminate spam posts, the first few posts made by a forum guest will go through a moderation process, and won't appear until they are marked as not spam. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.

My Spiritual Experience

• Phoenix
  • Phoenix's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 year 3 weeks ago #1039 by Phoenix
Phoenix replied the topic: My Spiritual Experience
I am happy for you dolphin. You have a belief system that works for you. So do I. There is no reason to butt heads. May peace be with you.

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dolphin
  • Frequent Poster
  • Frequent Poster
  • E.C.C.O Agent
More
1 year 3 weeks ago - 1 year 2 weeks ago #1040 by dolphin
dolphin replied the topic: My Spiritual Experience
A Spiritual Journey towards Clarity and Reason
Thanksgiving Day 11/23/2017
by Tom Pain (aka: the dolphin)

A great many Voice Hearers will adopt an orthodox religious explanation to interpret their experiences at some point in their life. It can and does provide a certain degree of relief in coping. I know that from personal experience. How much relief and how long that relief lasts will varry widely from person to person. The likelihood that a person does so is often determined by how intensive their spiritual indoctrination was throughout their life. Still others who may have drifted to a secular life who then suffer the onset of a startling phase may very well retreat back to the religious belief system they once lived. Desperate to interpret what is happening to them it is only natural they fall back on whatever explanation of the cosmos they were indoctrinated with.

Many voice hearers who either never had religious views, or have evolved past them will prefer not to entertain an orthodox religious interpretation of their symptoms, or condition. Still others may fall prey to evangelism discovering that mainstream religion offers a suitable explanation and remain addicted to its opiate draw indefinately. On occasion you may come across someone like myself who has achieved the third stage of voice hearing and who has experienced living through numerous subjective interpretations of their symptoms and condition. I am quite comfortable discussing the various explanations of others without recoiling in reactionary reflex over my perception of reality feeling challenged either directly, or indirectly. I have been through more than enough evolving interpretations of my own condition over the years for it to negatively impact, or threaten the destablization of my psyche. I have learned through experience, experiment, and prayer that one belief always transcends another.

In the province of the mind what one believes to be true, either is true or becomes true within certain limits. These limits are to be found experimentally and experientially. When so found these limits turn out to be further beliefs to be transcended. In the province of the mind there are no limits. However, in the province of the body there are definite limits not to be transcended --- J.C. LILLY, M.D.

Over the years I have observed that attempts by orthodox believers to convince voice hearers to adopt, or opt back in to orthodox eschatology to explain their symptoms and condition results in pushing those voice hearers away in much the same way it pushes normals away in our increasingly secular world. Many of you may identify with what I am refering to if you can recall the last time the Jehovah Witnesses, or the LDS showed up unexpectedly knocking on your front door. If you are like me you remain polite, but desperately want the interaction to end. I am loath to hurt their feelings because I know they mean well. Even a normal naturally recoils from what to them feels like an assault on whatever grasp of sanity they have managed to put together for themself. The reasons why may varry from person to person, but the end result and reaction are usually the same.

It might just be an innocent case of the person already having been there and done that then having found a way to move past it to something else that works better for them. In such cases a person may realize (usually from experience) that it is an exorcise in futility to try and continue interacting with someone who is seemingly incapable, or willfully unwilling to consider their schizophrenic perceptual reality as anything other than what can be found in the bible, or some other book based belief system, or perhaps even one of their own imaginings; be that aliens, government conspiracy, or some other off the wall manifestation of the occult regardless of how confused and convoluted it may sound. Each transition to a new belief in my experience acts as a waypoint that offers some degree of respite from the hyperborean climate and brittle ground that permeates the wasteland of uncertainty.

Of course the same result can be expected when someone who trys to convince a biblically oriented voice hearer to ascibe to a more secular interpretation. One that falls more in line with mainstream Western psychology and psychiatry for instance. Even if based on the the alternative mainstream school of thought such as you will find in the work of Dr. Mosher and his advocacy of Soetoria based treatment practices. The Hearing Voices Network itself has a ways to go before becoming an acceptable alternative to mainstream practice. Regardless I have to seriously question the medical ethics; if not the sanity of anyone who advocates for a grief oriented ideology that inherently promotes self-flagellation as a means to recovery. To do so flies in the face of clarity and reason in my considerable experience. At best falling back on an eschatological explanation might calm ones paranoia enough to offset suicidal ideation, but the tradeoff is the persons arrested intellectual development. As a third stage voice hearer I can say with conviction that intellectual development is the only known treatment that I have been able to find worthy of being called a cure and the sad fact is far too many "normals" are in desperate need of the very same cure.

See For Yourself
[/size]

The tendency is for each of us individually to lean toward defending to the death the grasp of reality that is based on whatever interpretation we have gravitated towards and hold at any given time at all costs. This can be more pronounced in a voice hearer as very often our condition imposes on us a more fragile state of mind that is very easily upset due to our increased susceptability to stressors. The fear is that if what little mental stability we have managed to achieve in our struggle to explain our condition is challenged it will result in causing us doubts (loss of faith) that will lead to a relapse with all the chaotic insanity that accompanies it. No one I have ever met enjoys being locked up in a psych ward, forced to take dibilitating medications with horrible side effects, or being stigmatized by society and family with hurtful labels. The idea of letting go of what we have built in terms of a safe belief system threatens to bring all that back.

It takes a great deal of effort and patience to have a conversation with someone who you feel harbors a seemingly diametricly opposed perception of reality as you. That holds true even for me. Even among normals discussions about politics and religion are notoriously regarded as out of bounds in many circles for the sake of maintaining the peace. There are few things I have found as unpleasent as being told by an orthodox believer that my voices are evil demons, or being shunned, or insulted for conspicuously carrying on an inadvertant conversation with my auditory hallucinations by the average normal who is ignorant of psychology. In my perception the voices are merely positive aspects of what to me came about as a result of my having had my mind fractured into multiple compartmentalized facets of personality. To the normal who is ignorant of psychology a voice hearer is just plain crazy. In times past people like us were regarded as having been touched by the Gods. Perhaps we are, but the natural inference would then have to be that the Gods must be crazy.

Each of the auditory hallucinations (voices/alters/dissociated parts) within my perception exist as individuals still (as coping mechanisms), but my intellectual grasp and interpretation of what is going on in my mind allows me to accept that without being afflicted by the chaos and confusion they used to cause. While I remain susceptable to full blown episodes in circumstances of extreme stress (which are avoidable); the vast majority of the time I manage just fine. In years past my condition did cause suicidal ideation, conflict, confusion, paranoia, and pain, but I got through it by learning to understand and accept my condition through experiment, experience, and a rather unique version of the serenity prayer. Thankfully I'm able to manage my condition with a little valium rather than a smorgasbord of dibilitating pharmaceuticals. My perception of the cosmos dictates my beliefs and I prefer to keep them to myself unless someone asks me for help. I remain a Judeo-Christian in both tradition and morality for the most part because it is the culture I was born into and frames familial traditions. With regards to morals it goes without saying that without a good set of rules there would be chaos. In conclusion I would argue that life itself no matter how mundane, or insane is in fact a profound spiritual experience in and of itself.
Copyright © 2017 - Thomas William Almond. All rights reserved.

See For Yourself :silly:
[/size]

Don't misunderstand me. Nothing I wrote in this essay was meant to infer I am an atheist, or any particular kind of deist for that matter. I choose not to burden myself with labels. It is bad enough that for far too many years I was forced to carry the burden of labels heaped upon me by others. As the homonymous namesake of my chosen pen name would say "I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good".
Last Edit: 1 year 2 weeks ago by dolphin.

• Phoenix
More
1 year 3 weeks ago #1044 by Phoenix
dolphin,

I got my blog site up and running. And as I promised, here is the link -

Christian Spiritual and Biblical Insight

I don't know whether you would be interested in it or not, but others might. May love and joy fill your day.

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." - Friedrich Nietzsche

• dolphin
  • Frequent Poster
  • Frequent Poster
  • E.C.C.O Agent
More
1 year 3 weeks ago - 1 year 3 weeks ago #1045 by dolphin
dolphin replied the topic: My Spiritual Experience

Phoenix wrote: dolphin,

I got my blog site up and running. And as I promised, here is the link -

Christian Spiritual and Biblical Insight

I don't know whether you would be interested in it or not, but others might. May love and joy fill your day.

I am sure some will enjoy it. I checked it out.

Perhaps you would read again the post I made to you. I edited it extensively.

You have my permission to publish it on your blog if you wish.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 weeks ago by dolphin.

• Phoenix
More
4 months 2 weeks ago #1134 by Phoenix
We can witness the spirit world in our dreams. Often times we are out of our bodies and in the spirit world while dreaming. We can witness the dead and some of the powers of that world. Sometimes, a person can witness the spirits of deceased friends and family members. And the spirit’s of living people as well.

An angel of the Lord came to Joseph in a dream to tell him that the child was of the Holy Spirit and not to be afraid to take Mary as his wife.

Mathew 1:20. But while he thought about these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take to you Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit.

Saint Joseph was in the spirit world with the angel while dreaming. Edgar Cayce revealed that dreams are journeys into the spirit world and the Holy Bible confirms this.

Nightmares are influenced by fallen angels. Some fallen angels whom I have conversed with refer to themselves as “dream workers” and they would tempt the recovering alcoholic by putting a can of beer in his or her hand in a dream. What we are dealing with is a complex hidden battle between us and dark forces on a subconscious and unconscious level in our dreams. They prey on our weaknesses.

“Saint Augustine of Hippo (d. 430 C.E.) left several writings clearly expressing his opinion that dreams can come from several sources: from the divine, from below, or simply from everyday life.”

“St. Augustine also discusses lucid dreaming in one of his letters – as evidence of life after death.”

More
1 month 1 week ago #1199 by RobinM
RobinM replied the topic: My Spiritual Experience
I also hear voices and feel entities around me. They also possess me. They took over my mind at one time, but God pulled me out. Please email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. if you need to talk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phoenix

• Phoenix
More
4 weeks 6 hours ago #1201 by Phoenix
I have been possessed twice temporarily. I am currently undergoing a spiritual battle in which God and some angels are helping me out. I believe that God is my protector and will be victorious.

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds